Re: NEA Petition

Joseph Zitt (jzitt@humansystems.com)
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:42:16 -0400

Folks, petitions of this sort are, while well-intentioned, an
ill-advised way to bring attention to an issue and ineffective in
getting things done.

For information on better ways to take action via the Net, see Phil
Agre's "Designing Effective Action Alerts for the Internet" at
http://weber.ucsd.edu/~pagre/alerts.html

An excerpt:

"15.DO NOT use a chain-letter petition. A chain-letter petition is an
action alert that includes a list of names at the end, inviting people
to add their own name, send in the petition if their name is the 30th or
60th or etc, and in any case forward the resulting
alert-plus-signature-list to everyone they know. This idea sounds great
on the surface, but it really doesn't work. The problem is that most of
the signatures will never reach their destination, since the chain will
fizzle out before reaching the next multiple of 30 (or whatever) in
length. What's even worse, a small proportion of the signatures will be
received in the legislator's office many times, thus annoying the staff
and persuading them that they're dealing with an incompetent movement
that can never hold them accountable."

--
|||/ Joseph Zitt ===== jzitt@humansystems.com ===== Human Systems \|||