Re: Three poignant questions

Joseph Zitt (jzitt@humansystems.com)
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 15:39:58 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Peter Mueller wrote:

> 1/ each and every composer has the right to compose at least one
> masterpiece in her or his life; is that true?

"Right"? "Masterpiece"? "Composer"? What might you mean by these terms?
Who determines or grants them? What is this question asking?

> 2/ we should not underestimate the quality of the so called Western
> classical music; is that true?

"We"? "should"? "underestimate"? "quality"? See above.

> 3/ the development of contemporary classical music (and art in general) in
> the Western world has been stalled by government/business bureaucracies; is
> that true?

"development"? "stalled"?

Obviously, these questions are asked in an attempt to shoot down some
sort of straw man position. Perhaps if they were worded more
intelligibly, we might know what position that was.

That someone might think that these statements, as currently worded,
could be judged "true" or "false" is somewhat frightening and disappointing.