Re: "Creative Music" ???

Joseph S Zitt (jzitt@humansystems.com)
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 16:27:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, R. Wiley Evans wrote:

> I realize that I am not really talking about categories here, but rather
> product placement. but I will say that categories help people to "talk" about
> music, and with out categories and associations it very hard to "talk" about
> music. or did we go over that in that thread about the beatles and cheesiness?

Very true (Subwit's dream notwithstanding). On the other hand, the
existence of placement categories necessitates people who have a clue
where to put things. (I recently found a bunch of interesting contemporary
chamber music at the local Borders, mysteriously filed under "Chant".)

Maybe we need a Library of Congress-like filing system, with its structure
well-publicized, so that CD publishers can indicate the filing code on the
packaging, as well as other bins in which to place cross-reference cards.