Re: "Creative Music" ???

Joseph S Zitt (jzitt@humansystems.com)
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 11:15:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Matthew Marth wrote:

> I propose that
> musicians who are devoted to exploring modes of expression and
> challenging themselves and others to learn from the act of composition
> and performance, who are devoted to peeling off the layers of conformity
> to reveal their true, original selves--we musicians should use the term
> "experimental" often and with vigor.

But could you find musicians who do *not* consider themselves to be in
that category? And what about those who are more interested in acoustical
and structural phenomena than in showing off their supposedly "true,
original selves"? And can a piece of music, once pressed on a CD in a
fixed state, still be considered "experimental"? And what about those
whose experimentation is done within the parameters of an existing
tradition? And how much should be peeled away before it's "experimental"--
should that not include people who play pre-existing instruments?

The term, while definitely more useful than "creative" (which I haven't
heard anybody try to use as a label since the early seventies -- what a
blast from the past your message has been!), still is too vague to nail
things down.