Re: Re[2]: so I'm confused

Aliyah Baruchin (ab362@columbia.edu)
Sun, 22 Jun 1997 01:11:16 -0400 (EDT)

Peter Mueller (I think) wrote:

> Probably. I hate the word elitist, though. When a work of art is
> described as elitist, people are saying that a member of some other
> social/economic group are incapable of enjoying that object. As far as
> I know, however, I am incapable of enjoying John Tesh. I would much
> rather listen to my neighbors lawnmower at 6:00 am on a Sunday.

Amen to that, too. I agree with Luke Jaeger that we shouldn't lose
perspective about what a very tiny percentage of the world has access to
the technologies that we're so blithely using right now. But I must say
that Peter's thought may, in fact, have more to do expressly with John
Tesh than with the larger argument. I stil thank him for saying it.

By the way, if any of you car- and refrigerator-appreciators are
interested, Randy Hostetler had done a performance at Cal Arts in 1987 or
so in which he played a grand piano and a Honda, side by side on
stage. The Honda stuff is terrific, and the concert exists on tape (though
finding it -- in LA -- may take a moment).

--Aliyah Baruchin