Re: New Topic!!!

Larry Hewes (lhewes@erols.com)
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 05:04:56 -0700

Mark Klemola wrote:

> I'll introduce a new topic. Nothing to do with music, or so it may
> seem. One never knows where an argument concerning music will errupt. Where
> is the Left? Why has the Left disappeared in America? Does the Left need to
> consider national and global economic theory in it's positioning? Have the
> theories of the left, say, from 30 years ago, led to todays crisis of
> political identity? How has the acknowledgement of Diaspora divided the left
> and weakened it's political power?
>
> These questions and many more (dealing with music) coming your way.
>
> and *BUNUS* question... Was BB King an Anarchist?
>
> Mark Klemola

Mark:

Let's get back to music, or at least let us know how the subject of the
left and its "disappearance" connects to music.

BUT, on the subject of the left, no, it has not disappeared. The problem
is that the cold war is over, so the left does not have the reactionary
hawks to fight right now, and, in addition, in spite of all our very
serious domestic social problems, lots of other problems are better off
than they were 30 yrs ago: environment, employment, etc., and a Dem is
in the WH, whatever you may think of him (or them). So, the left is
trying to redefine itself in ways that are effective, and that is an
internal problem, which takes place, to a large degree, out of sight.

Or Whatever. Or maybe you are talking about the musical left, and, by
implication, the musical right. Are you? If so, what are they?

Larry

--
Laurence I. Hewes, III		Phone (h): 202-829-1821
1821 Randolph Street, N.W.      Phone (o): 202-829-2600