Re[2]: How To Evaluate - more

Evans, Wiley (wiley.evans@sf.gametek.com)
Thu, 12 Jun 97 18:21:41 PST

Subwit@aol.com wrote:

> i disagree with michael's two points on one ground....if it isn't
> progressive for the whole it is a waste of my time...but i do agree
> if it is honest and without basic cliche it is innovative...

progressive, honest, cliche, innovative

then the biggest word of all... "Evaluate"

These are very big words that we are mixing up with the small word
"music"

As a composer I ask that my music be heard, and from that point on it
is up to you to evaluate and catagorize. and because a sonic work is
evaluated or catagorized does not (and should not) destract from its
exsistance and continued performance.

as a performer I use all of these words to help me discuss sonicness
but I do find that the english language (as defined by dictionaries)
lacks the tools to descibe music of the 20th and 21st century.

my $.02
Wiley