Re[3]: The New Complexity

Peter_Mueller@UCSDLIBRARY.ucsd.edu
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 11:56:00 -0700

Rico asked:

"ANyway - I don't know baout the New Complexity and I don't even know if its
new, but perhaps you can say what you feel about it?"

My response:

I need to think about what I think of Ferneyhough's music. He was my
doctoral committee chair, so its a loaded question for me, although
loaded with pretty positive stuff mostly. A very quick answer about
what I think is that I'm fascinated by many of the procedures at work,
but what impresses me most is the large scale drama that goes on. His
pieces seem to exist for more reasons than just working out a formula,
realizing a precompositional pitch scheme, etc. Explaining what that
other thing is, though, is pretty hard.
-Peter