Re[2]: How To Evaluate-Judge-Quantify

Peter_Mueller@UCSDLIBRARY.ucsd.edu
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 07:56:00 -0700

Dick wrote:
">>Very keen observer. This is true. Part of the problem is that these styules
>>are not designed for multiple hearings. They shoot their wad on one-shot
>>hearings. The trick is to write music for multiple hearings, poems for
>>multiple reading, theater for multiple versions, paintings for living with.
>>Only that way ois there any futuire at all. The rest is disposable music
>>for disposable people. Hopefully that ain't us.
>>
>>Dick
>Rico responded:
>Could you elaborate here? What allows for a work of art to have greater or
>less repeatability?

Dick responded:
Density.
Rico again:
>I have listened to some so called "pop forms" trip hop and hip hop to name
>a few and found much complexity?

Dick again:
Occasionally, but most so-called "classical music" of the imperial age (ca.
1600-1914) attempts it and most contermporary music seems to pried itself
on its ephemerality. Or no?

I will be away till 19. June. I weill think about your ideas (and my
answers) till then."
My two cents worth:
Just wondering - does this mean you are a fan of the so called New
Complexity (Dench, Dillon, Ferneyhough, et al)?
_Peter