Re: How To Evaluate-Judge-Quantify

Philly the Kid (apriori@slip.net)
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 18:04:39 -0500

>At 02:37 PM 6/1/97 -0400, Subwit@aol.com wrote:
>>you know what hits are....do i really have to tell you?
>
>No, you don't have to tell me. Hits are big sellers. Like Handel's
>"Messiah," Bernstein's "West Side Story," or the Beatles' "When I'm 64."
>

> anyway....i think
>>you missed the point completely...and yes i am a dope...=)
>>
>No you're not. Everybody knows a LOT about music. We speak it like we speak
>English.

Ok then, how do we quantify what we know and now that on any given night in
most cities you can hear quite a range of styles on the radio, how do we
know what we know? Just experience? By extension then, if one has no
experience with a genre then are they unqulaified to say whether or not it
is any good?

Music is hard to talk about. Is there any point to trying to objectify the
parameters and try to lifet he discussion away from "I just like it", and
describe things in measured ways?

Rico