Re: How To Evaluate-Judge-Quantify

David Labell (dlabell@paltech.com)
Wed, 04 Jun 1997 18:45:13 -0400

At 05:27 AM 6/4/97 -0700, Laurence I. Hewes, III wrote:
>Fleur de Vie Weinstock wrote:
>>
>> blah blah blah blah blah
>> cage cage cage cage cage cage cage cage cage cage
>> lucier lucier lucier lucier lucier lucier lucier lucier
>> stockhausen stockhausen stockhausen
>> tcherepnin tcherepnin tcherepnin
>> reich reich reich reich reich reich reich reich reich reich reich reich
>> blah blah blah balh balh balh balhblh ablha blha blah blakhb
>
>Very interesting, but what is it?

It is a play on words.
Weinstock is constructing a rhythmic, repetitive, and monotonous free verse
from the names of minimalist and modern composers. It's a wordplay that has
the structure of a minimal piece.

See? It's a poem constructed with the same elements as minimal music. He
created it because he heard us discussing minimal music and sampling, so he
did it with words and names.

Constructing in one medium using the techniques of another medium is
sometimes called "pop art." It was inspired by Roy Liechtenstein's
paintings that looked like silkscreen prints.

So, Weinstock is applying the same esoteric humor to minimalist music,
using poetry.

Very clever and poetic.