Re: How To Evaluate-Judge-Quantify

David Labell (dlabell@paltech.com)
Wed, 04 Jun 1997 06:45:51 -0400

At 10:21 PM 6/3/97 -0400, Aliyah Baruchin wrote:
>So I thought I'd throw out a question, not coming from any particular
>opinion -- just something I was curious about: there is a school of
>American painting called "primitive" or "naive," which consists largely of
>paintings by artists with no formal training or education, many of them
>from rural areas, and the stuff is (I think) extraordinarily interesting.
>Is there any sort of a movement in contemporary music, or composition in
>particular, that resembles this? Is that even possible, or does the
>mathematical element of composing demand at least some training?
>
>--Aliyah Baruchin

In fact, the movement has no name, because it is so pervasive. We've been
discussing Elvis Presley, the truck driver who walked into Sun Records to
make a demo tape for Sam Phillips and became a star. Presley never had any
musical training. He was a "primitive" musician. Is that the kind of
movement you're looking for?

Think about it -- bluegrass, blues, calypso, reggae.