Re: How To Evaluate-Judge-Quantify

Laurence I. Hewes, III (lhewes@erols.com)
Tue, 03 Jun 1997 09:57:27 -0700

David Labell wrote:

> At 10:11 PM 5/31/97 -0700, Mark Klemola wrote:
> > Hmmmm... I'm a visual artist, you see. I know very little about
> >music, other than what I like and, perhaps, more importantly, why I like it.
> > I have been tainted by my education. I dig concepts. I look for the
> >concept wherever I go. Wandering like an astronaut, bubbble about my head,
> >and tethered to theory.
> > So, when it comes to music, I like sampling. I like theft.
> >Appropriation. To me this is what it's all about.
>
> So, you would think Papa Haydn was one of the greatest innovators who ever
> lived?
>
> The same would go for Elvis Presley, hmmm?
>
> "It's Now or Never...." Didn't Elvis steal that from "Le Chant d'Amour?"

Lenny Bernstein is supposed to have said that Elvis Presley is one of
the most important musical figures of the 20th Century. There was no
explanation as to why, but if I had to guess, it would be that he
brought to the country (and the world, too, I think), the music of Black
America. Unfortuately, the country was so racist in its thinking and
acting, that radio stations in the U.S. would not (or did not) broadcast
Black American music to white audiences. That is all changed now, and
Elvis was the cause. He did not do what he did for that reason, but
whatever the reason, it got done.

Larry Hewes