Re: What are you working on?

David Labell (dlabell@paltech.com)
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 18:36:34 -0500

At 04:19 PM 3/3/97 -0600, David E. Tolchinsky wrote:

>Graphite powder is just pencil in powder form. I've been smearing it all
>over paper and using an eraser to pull the light back out

Man, that brings back memories! My mother, who is now an Alzheimer's
patient, left 2 drawings on the living room wall. They are obviously
graphite powder sketches of a tree line against the sky. She even described
for me the process when I was just a small boy. Only the memory of the
eraser stuck with me, until you reminded me.

. Silver point is
>a piece of silver wire. I've inserted it into a clutch pen. It will only
>draw on a surface which has been treated with something like gesso or
>gauche. The old masters used it. You tend to get incredibly thin delicate
>lines as well as an odd ethereal quality. It's hard to get darks, but
>overtime the silver tarnishes and turns brown. You can also use other
>metals, such as gold or tin in the same way.

Hmmm, I'll bet Michelangelo used it. Somewhere I've seen some.