Re: What are you working on?

David Labell (dlabell@paltech.com)
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 20:19:50 -0500

At 06:16 PM 2/27/97 -0500, Philly the Kid wrote:

>I pose this question to anyone with a moment to think about it and
>respond...it is a simple question really:
>
>What 'Music' - moves you at this current time?
>
>Rico

Gabriel Faure -- professor at the Paris Conservatoire, he went to bat for
his student Maurice Ravel, whose 1st String Quartet failed repeatedly to win
the Prix de Rome. This began a scandal which resulted in toppling the
director and replacing him with Faure. I heard his Piano Trio recently. The
final movement's melody is a perfect octave run -- upwards. It's one of
those unforgettable and daring sounds.

Magpie - folk singers and songwriters, husband and wife team from the DC
area, coming to Arlington next weekend.

John Adams - I was sitting on a Metrobus with the headphones. They played
something called "A Short Ride on a Fast Machine." What a piece! I gotta
hear it again.

Vivaldi - I just ordered a CD of 6 recently discovered string symphonies.
Can't wait for it to arrive.